Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

You are the guerilla against an overwhelming attacking force, you have no support, no secret allies, and no hope of saving the country; what do you do?
Poll ended at Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:21 am
Buy inexpensive units and stall as long as possible 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
Buy high attack units and do as much damage as you can? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Buy unit(s), and escape with them 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Kamikaze 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 17%  17%  [ 2 ]
D: Any of the above, at any time, is reasonable 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 12
 Post subject: Unable to save a country
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:21 am 
Tough Nut

This scenario has presented itself to me many times, I am finding myself buying an expensive defensive unit, and trying to do as much damages as possible.

What do you folks do?

-Brewer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:38 am 
Tough Nut

I usually do what I think will make his capture the slowest- a bunch of bunkers up close, plus 1 or a Guard Tower way in back. I want them to wait as long as possible before getting revenue.

When I can, I counterinvade. Sometimes you can take their capital and deny them a revenue turn, or at the very least you can activate their guerrilla, so when you invade later from elsewhere it will be smooth sailing. Other times you can create a guerrilla force in the back, for the purpose of a flank invasion of another country in support of your other troops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:59 am 
Sea Wolf

The choices are kind of "sticky"(?).....because they don't really represent the choices....Buying an expensive unit doesn't mean you will inflict lots damage....but 8 bunkers might!....It all depends on the big picture(!)....What is going on next door or across the map determines a lot.
Am I offered a loaded transport within reach of a RockLauncher or Ostrich?.....Maybe I will buy a tank or Ostrich and jump on a new water transport to reinforce a battle half-way around the world. And so on....
If i can sail away with a nice unit or two, AND leave a couple annoying lav's or bunks to delay the rev, ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:47 pm 
Sea Wolf

There's another important option (often the best): Let the overwhelming force take the country, and do not disclose it at all (or, at least, not until a favorable time for disclosure occurs later in the game).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:11 pm 
Sea Wolf

I'm sorry, I misread the question.

Use of guerillas really does vary a lot depending on the situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:21 am 
Sea Wolf

Yes, a "no-hope" situation still has extenuating circumstances to consider as we have pointed out. I'm not trying to be dificult and I realize this was not intended as a Doctorate Thesis...and here's the big but:
Does it really do any good to throw a few units down, say 4 lav's which can't even destroy a tank?...There is little delay and a waste of $4.
Hide the four lav's on the other side of the country to delay w/o doing any hurt to the enemy? Depends on whether the border where you've put your "delaying units" will be disclosed by your enemy and he quickly again blows them up, "for nothing".
I would rather load up a transport and take off with it...IF this and that.
It's not a simple question and answer in this fashion...
Just making it clear...no big thing...it's a tricky question to poll as is...
Keep on keepin'on! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:34 am 
Tough Nut

Rextrent wrote:
Just making it clear...no big thing...it's a tricky question to poll as is...

Yes, it was a tricky question to frame. Not stopping the thread, but I wanted to point out that there have been some good ideas/tactics discussed, which was really my intent in the first place. No, nothing earth shattering, but different views and ideas for us 'learners' to think about.

-Brewer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:42 am 
Sea Wolf

Truly.
There are so many facets in MAN. Then you mix up all the countries allotted for extra random variable-ness. It's fascinating :o
The Unbeatables exhibit a kind of genius when they play. I knew they were good early on, but after I began taking the game seriously, I realized that they have a real uncanny knack for doing the right thing almost as perfectly as a computer....
It is a challenge I really enjoy taking: (1) Learning how I might win, even in unlucky situations (2) Learning how to conquer my ego-sensitivity which tells me crazy things when I can't beat Tiger or Red-Eyes or Placid(Just to name the ones I can think of).
This Forum is also a neat place, and believe me now and see me later when I tell you that I am not trying to "shut down" a topic or conversation, even if my message comes across sounding negative.
This is another cool challenge...improving communications skills(is anybody still reading this?)....
Personally, anything goes here....as long as responsibility is the prerequisite.... have fun, give and take, learn something, make friends, say I was wrong(this applies only to others!), and be real. :)