Massive Assault Official Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ideal Invasion Army
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:25 pm 
Conscript

So, I am quite new to the game (about a week now). However, I have observed a great variety of different invasion armies used. It is obvious that terrain and overall map situation plays a part. However, I am curious if people have a "common" army they use to invade with or a rule of thumb that they use.

Common situations:
Secret Army of 8 wants to invade neighboring $2 or $3 province. If fairly small with limited rough terrain, what is the best buy?

My thoughts (against $2 province): It seems like 4 tanks is the best invasion for against $2 province. Can buy transport later to support attack, but using transport just gets it killed (3 bunkers) and still 1 guerrilla bunker/smallfoot can be in far corner of province.

My thoughts (against $3 province): Here I am torn between 2 tanks and a walker (bring some ranged power along), 4 tanks (safe, but at least one will die), and mix of small feet (to take brunt of guerrillas) and tanks/mortars...4 small feet and 2 mortars is dreadfully slow and seems like can be taken advantage of too easily. With $6 worth of guerrillas, that gives more possibilities (like megabot if terrain allows to divide some of the tanks from supporting one another). Overall, my inclination would be to invade with 4 tanks, have $2 saved in my province, so would have $4 after guerrillas reveal so could buy transports/walker/missile launcher depending on the defenses.

Anyway, it gets more complicated of course - but just curious if people wanted to share some rules of thumb - it seems that there is no one "right" choice - which is a good indication that the game has lots of strategic depth and that is very cool. It seems to me that tanks are the best to trigger the guerrillas - when is this a bad idea?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:11 pm 
Sea Wolf

There really is no ideal army because you never know what units your opponent will deploy. Also, as you play the game you will find that there are units that you are very happy with and units that you don't like--a lot has to do with the style that you develop.
Tanks work very well but one example of how they would be a bad choice is if you deploy them along a border and then your opponent deploys in a very defensive manner across from you. Then you have a situation where you are destroying small foots while he is destroying your tanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:28 pm 
Veteran

One tip I would give to any newbie is...

Don't underestimate the value of transports, land air (or sea at a push). Very rarely can you have enough. If you have units sitting around doing nothing or working their way slowly accross the map they are worthless regardless of how much they cost. A mobile army half the size is worth much more.

So whatever you disclose, unless it defensive, get a transports in there!